Feb 7, 2012

The poet’s hair for all the color in the world.

I read Light My Fire, a memoir by Ray Manzarek, the co-founder and keyboard player for The Doors. His poetic writing style really captivated me.

So much so, that I went out and bought a poster of Jim Morrison.

When I got home, I put it on a wall and pushed my hands through the paper, into his hair.

He seemed afraid, At first, but I told him that I’m only going to borrow his hair for a while, while I grow my own.

‘That’s cool,’ he said, ‘but first, let me propose a deal. I will give you my hair, the poet’s hair, and in exchange you must give me all the color in your world’

All the color?’

‘Yes, everything except black and white. You need those to keep writing, with black letters on white paper’

‘What am I supposed to write about, if you take away the color, all the beauty, in the world?’

‘Your job, as a poet, is to remember everything the way it used to be and bring the whole world and it's beauty back to life with your writing. If you can’t do it, you’re not worthy of my hair’

I agreed.

With a solemn move, he removed his hair and planted it on top of my head. The new hair tickled as it pushed it's way trough my scalp and took root in my brain, making new mental connections and removing the ones that were getting old and unnecessary.

With The Poet's Hair


After a while, the tickling ended. All I had to do next, was to regain the colors and possibly create some new ones on the way. I knew I could do it. I had The Poet's Hair.

1 comment:

  1. Quite good; the stuff of a real writer.

    Any more where that came from?

    ReplyDelete